Here is another stunning heritage project that was completed in 2010 on instruction from the NSW office of Environment and Heritage.
The large scale job was one of the oldest StoneSet projects in Australia, together with Ashton house which is also located on the foreshore of Sydney harbour. Installed using an iron red glensanda stone thee StoneSet driveway was the only option for the driveway approved by the National Heritage Board.
The owners were also after a product which could reflect the prestigious style of the house. StoneSet provided the solution: repairing and overlaying the surface with a new beautiful finish that reflected instead of detracted from the amazing home.
The existing asphalt had started to deteriorate, which meant that a repair was going to leave the already bleak surface with a mis-matched finish. The owners were looking for a product which could overlay the existing surface circumventing a complete replacement.
The team had to do significant prep work, including chiseling out around existing drainage, given the decades of compaction, the paving was rock solid. In order to finish flush up agains some of the existing spoon drains and guttering, we needed to get a depth low enough to ensure a durable finish for the long term.
StoneSet were also involved in making custom drain panels which can be seen in the photos, so as to create a continuous surface and keep in line with heritage appearance but allowing manhole access to modern upgrades in utilities that had evolved with the property.
Babworth house has seen a long line of change of ownership and subdivision. The government owned heritage listed component around the estate proper is where StoneSet installed the porous natural stone paving.
It is estimated the stone that we replaced at the residence could have been more than 6 years old, as the stone was continually replaced, however low usage given the property was not accessible to the general public for most of the century.
Originally known by its Aboriginal name Yarranabbee, in a suburb named after the governors wife, “Mrs Darling Point”
In the early 1800’s the land was advertised with “Villa allotments” were advertised for sale and was purchased by William Macdonald, who named his purchase Mount Adelaide and spent considerable amounts of money on it, although no residence had been built by the time he put it up for sale in 1837.
In 1912 the old house had been pulled down and plans prepared for the new residence. A brief description in the Sydney Morning Herald gave some idea about the character of the new house: ‘The building, which will contain about 40 rooms.. when complete the building should be one of the finest residences in Sydney.’
The house was on a grand scale with high quality finishes and it appears that it was not until 1915 that Samuel Hordern and his family took up residence in their new home, called Babworth House. Its style and location were sure marks of a class of commercial entrepreneurs which had established itself as part of the Sydney social elite.
Babworth House is sited on the highest point of the Darling Point peninsula. The house is two storey with walls finished in finely worked, unpainted, cement render with beautifully detailed Art Nouveau-inspired decorations around openings and chimneys.